A History of Clinton
No. 1 R&CS ( Radar and Communications School) at RAF (Royal Air Force) Clinton was first opened in 1941 under British control, though it became RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) Clinton in 1943. It was vital to training radar personnel during the Second World War, the first people trained being American Navy and Marine Corps.
This was important because it provided more manpower for the British but was also located away from Europe where the action was taking place.
It was chosen because of its location. Clinton is on Lake Huron, and the coast gives a similar feel to England. As well it was secluded enough to be private, but close enough to cities if needed. There was also an RAF flying school north of Goderich which could be used in their training.
Clinton, officially CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Clinton on April 01, 1966, was still important in the Cold War. It continued to used to train those people who worked on the Dew Line and Pinetree Line. In the 1960s almost all airmen in Canadian Forces studied at Clinton at some point in their career.
The radome that was located at Clinton was built in this period as well.
From 1948-1962 a guided missile school also operated out of Clinton. As well, the School of Food Services was located at Clinton as of September 1954 and the School of Instructional Technique (originally at Trenton) after May 1962.
In the early 1970s, Clitnon was sold and became the city of Vanestra, with the Radar and Communications School being relocated to Kingston. In its time, Clinton trained more than 40 000 people.